Thursday, March 16, 2006

American Idol - My Top 4 picks

Is anyone else brave enough to admit that they are watching American Idol this season? Well, I am. I began by watching the tryouts as a means to make me feel better about myself. I knew there would be some very interesting candidates. These were sheer entertainment value subjects that added a little laughter into my otherwise routine life. Then, I heard Paris. She sang Bille Holiday better then Billy Holiday. She gave me chills. I was hooked. Unfortunately, Paris has not lived up to my expectations. She is still a fantastic performer, and has a great voice...but some of her song choices have been less then inspired. I would like to hear her sing "Embraceable You" or maybe some Tracy Chapman. Mark my words, this girl will make it. Maybe not as the next American Idol, but she will make it.

Enter Mandisa. This girl is INCREDIBLE!!! She has quickly become my new favorite female contender. She is absolutely beautiful, and an endless well of talent. Simon, oddly enough, was right when he said they would need a bigger stage for this woman...her innate sense of music is far superior then any challenge they have thrown at her. Will "America" be forgiving enough to close their eyes to her stature and open their souls to Mandisa? I certainly hope so. I would like to hear her sing some Paula Cole (NOT "Where have all the Cowboys Gone?") to show her intimate side. Ms. Cole can belt it out, and then reel you in softly...I think Mandisa could too. She would also do well with some Roberta Flack. Yummy.

As far as the guys go - what is Ace still doing on this program? He and his beanie have got to go. He is all nasal when he sings, he has no range to speak of as far as musical genre is concerned, and I am sorry Paula, he is not hot. He does not have a smouldering gaze - and he is completely fake. Have you noticed that every chance he gets he is pretending to be sensitive? Rubbing the losers back, squeezing out a tear here and there...lame. I laughed so hard when little Kevin beat him out last night. (I was really disappointed to see Melissa voted off. Depsite her lyrical faux-pas she sang circles around Ace.)

Taylor Hicks however - THERE is a performer!!! He is all passion, talent and fun. I love his style and enthusiasm. Unfortunately, I think that "America" will not see him into the finals because of this quirkiness. I hope I am proven wrong. I can't get enough of this guy. He is as genuine as they come. (HEY!) I would like to hear him sing "Ain't No Sunshine When She's Gone" or maybe some Billy Joel.

I really like Chris as well. However, he needs to change it up a bit. He has a great voice, but he comes on stage with the same attitude, the same attack, and has difficulty making his song choices his own. This will not prove an all around talent force. I think we will be hearing him on the radio though. He is comfortable on stage, fluid in his transitions and is quite good looking. He seems to be a very sincere guy. I get a good vibe from him. However, since I am sure he won't stray from his comfort zone, I would like to hear him sing "Jeremy" or perhaps some Alice in Chains. (Preferably from the album "Dirt". I have always wanted to cover this album...)

Now - the judges. Paula Abdul is completely incapable of giving constructive criticism. What is she doing on the show if she hands out positives all night or cops out and says, "I agree with Randy..."? Rarely does she speak of performance, vocal nuiances or anything that matters. Paula, you are not everyones best friend. Why not focus on stage presence, or dance? Many of these contestents need help in this area, and you are good at it.

Randy needs to lay off the "dude" and the "dawg". However, he is able to give some insightful feedback once in awhile. My question to him: Why do you keep telling the younger girls that their song choices are too old but compliment the men when they choose a nostalgic song? Not fair. And just in case you forgot, the "Dog Pound Woof" died with Arsenio Hall's career. Leave it alone.

I think Simon is the only one who actually gives constructive criticism and helps imporve the contestents performances. However, he is not the metophoric genius he thinks he is. Stop attempting witty comaprisons, Simon. You are not funny. It is possible to give great feedback without being a jerk. Sometimes I think he does get wrapped up in being mean and forgets to give the contestents any advice. In his favor however, Paula and Randy need to let him speak before they try and "protect" the contestents. By the way - what are Simon's qualifications as a musical judge?