Monday, March 13, 2006

Board Game Broads

My partner and I have recently begun a "Game Night" with a few friends. We started out meeting on Saturday evenings at our friend Kryssa's house. Somehow the word has been floating around and we are growing exponentially. You would be suprised how many 30 somethings are into this! What began as a few bored old hippies playing LIFE, is taking on a life of it's own. We have had several people request admission to our game night recently...I have taken to daydreaming about hazing rituals to administer, thus making certain only the serious gamers apply. (If anyone has a suggesston...)

We (the Board Game Broads) are getting very excited because now we will begin incorporating themes into our little nights of escape. It may be a RISK, or perhaps a Trivial Pursuit...but we are going to try it. Just imagine all of the fun themes we can use! Here are a few of the Gastronomical Num-Nums on our list:

  • Just Desserts
  • Snack Attack
  • Mexican Fiesta
  • Fondue Nation
  • Finger Fun
  • Cultural Cuisine
  • Fruity Tootie
  • Crockpot Creations

The list is limited only by imagination. Lucky for me, most of our friends are really good cooks, so I can just sit back, bring the drinks, and enjoy. Ok, you caught me, they are really the lucky ones because they won't have to be subjected to my "cooking". But, honestly, it isn't about the food anyway. Game Night is a great way to relieve stress, get things off your chest, and more importantly - LAUGH!!! The older I get, the more I really appreciate my friends, and the worse I get at games!

My Favorite Games

Have you ever played Apples to Apples? This has got to be the best game on the market. I discovered it about a year ago when visiting friends in Seattle. We haven't introduced this favorite to the Board Game Broads as yet, but I assure you we will. It's loud, it's creative, and it is easy to play at any age. The more people playing the better. I have played it with 7 year olds and 70 somethings...it's a blast!

Cranium is definitly a must have. This game gets all of your creative juices flowing, and some juices you might not know you have. There never really is a dull moment when playing Cranium. You get to sculpt, sketch, immitate, mime...it's a creative cocoon of cackles.

Believe it or not, Dice is amoung my top 5 as well. I think it's because I grew up playing a lot of dice with my family. It's hard to cheat, and hard to feel bad if you lose because it's really all left to chance. I like trying to push my luck in this game.